Friday, March 30, 2007

Since we were talking about the end of the world....



To my way of thinking, nobody quite does the whole "End of the World" thing as well as the British SF authors, including (but not limted to) J. G. Ballard (Wind From Nowhere, The Drowned World et al.), Fred Hoyle (The Black Cloud), H. G. Wells and of course John Wyndham.

I just love that "stiff upper lip" way the English confront the apocalypse - in such a nondescript, nonchalant, matter-of-fact way. Here in America, there's usually a lot of hysteria and carrying on when the cataclysm hits. Everybody panics and runs around, generally loosing their heads. To your average Brit, it's just a bit of a sticky wicket and no more...
Don't get me wrong, i'm not disparaging anything or anyone here, i'm just trying to say that the British SF authors have a certain knack for presenting "The End of The World" in such a believable and realistic manner that creates (for me anyway) an incredible suspension of disbelief. But that's just me.



This zip file contains -
DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (1960's) Parts 1 - 6 and
DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (1990's) Parts 1 & 2.

Since I had this up the sleeve as it were, i'll add some more Wyndham audio....
These illos come from Amazing March '63 -




This zip file contains -
Chocky (1960's version) and
Chocky (1990's version) Parts 1 & 2.

In other news, i'm still dealing with computer problems (hoo hah!) so i'm probably gonna be stuck with doing re-posts for another couple of weeks at least.
The good news is, I might try taking requests, since i'm at a bit of a loss for selections - so if you have something that you really want me to re-post, drop me a comment and i'll see what I can do. Just be polite and don't push your luck... OK?

Labels: , ,

web statistics
Since August 2005 - Free Site Counter